Services for Eligible Dependents of Military Personnel

Welcome to Rutgers University. We're excited that you are interested in building your future with us. If you are considering taking advantage of the education benefits offered by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, first ensure that the VA deems you eligible for those benefits and that it has your chosen course of study on an approved list.

Veterans Education Benefits

Make sure you're eligible
Review the Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance Program on the VA's website. The Veterans Online Application website also outlines the forms needed to support an initial application for those benefits. A dependant would fill out VA Form 22-5490. You can complete it online through the Veterans Online Application website or print and mail it in.

For questions on the GI Bill, you can also call 1-888-GIBILL-1 (1-888-442-4551).

Make sure your program is approved
You should also check that the Rutgers program you're interested in has gained Veterans Affairs approval. If you seek to take courses at Rutgers but not as part of a degree program—in other words, as a nonmatriculating student—be especially careful that your course of study has been cleared by the VA.

Here's an inventory of programs offered by institutions of higher learning in New Jersey that have received approval. Rutgers programs are listed on pages 66 through 79; the length of that list illustrates the breadth of offerings at Rutgers. We grant degrees in more than 100 bachelor's programs.

Search for Scholarships

There are scholarships available to eligible military dependents, some of these include: